SJ Loco Red/ Brown

Här diskuterar vi allt som har med smalspårigt modellbygge och förebilder att göra.
rich_eason

SJ Loco Red/ Brown

Inlägg av rich_eason »

As the Z4p build comes to a near conclusion I am putting my thoughts towards paint.

One thing I am really struggling to find any conclusive evidence is what colour the Z4p locos were. The problem I have is being that I have always lived in the UK I have no perception of what the colour was like, therefore relying heavily on photographs.

Many of the photographs I have been referring to present a bewildering array of SK Loco Red Brown shades (acknowledging some colour accuracy is lost through photo processing). I am not keen on relying on photos of a preserved loco livery as these can often be inaccurate, unless someone can confirm the colour shades to be accurate?

Grateful if anyone could help provide any details on the loco paint colour.
Olsson

Re: SJ Loco Red/ Brown

Inlägg av Olsson »

The color is known as "SJ red 92" or "SJ colour S", and looks something like this (the picture is a scanned sample-plate from one of the biggest color manufacturer in Sweden, painted some time 1950-60):

However, the color looks different in other light, and ages different depending on manufacturer and so on...

Bild
Anders Johansson

Inlägg av Anders Johansson »

A recommendation is to buy the paint from SMJ (www.smj.org).
I don't know if they can deliver it to You but is a good paint, with the correct colour
and as You maybe know, the producer, Precition paint, deliver paint of good quality.
I think their paint is one of the best, easy to use, thined by turpentine.
rich_eason

Inlägg av rich_eason »

This is perfect thank you...

Thankfully close to what I had in mind it's just that I have some photos which are more brown than red....

As you say no doubt the colour weathered and faded amongst batch variation and combined with the limitations of early colour photography.

I know precision paint so I can make contact with them and ask if they can supply!

Thanks
lenelg

Inlägg av lenelg »

rich_eason skrev: .. no doubt the colour weathered and faded amongst batch variation and combined with the limitations of early colour photography.

Not only that, but a color will look different different viewed indoors than it does in bright daylight..
/ Lennart Elg
Sloat Lumber Co. - logging i On30"
Mats B

Inlägg av Mats B »

New SJ 92 normally looks like a brownish red in incandescent light and redish brown in daylight.

When aged it will of course be faded and more greyish and quite often with a hint of blue, making it a bit like brick colour.

With other words: there is not one SJ 92. If you paint a redish brown you can always state that this is the correct colour. ("The prototype I am modelling had that colour!")

/Mats B
Skriv svar