Finnish coaches from the end of 1800´s

Här diskuterar vi allt som har med smalspårigt modellbygge och förebilder att göra.
Petri Sallinen

Finnish coaches from the end of 1800´s

Inlägg av Petri Sallinen »

Hi all,

I am the brand new in this forum and first I have to say that I am not able to write in Swedish, I am sorry for that. I understand Swedish, but I am not able to write it. Please let me know if is it OK to write only in English — Finnish is also possible way :)

I have found that old Finnish and Swedish coaches from the end of 1800´s look like very much same. The idea of sheet metal plated two axles coaches was coming from German to Finland and the idea of same type of bogie coaches came from Sweden. For many reasons we made them a little bit more simple but the main idea was still the same. So I think that we might have same problems when we are modelling these coaches. And that´s why I´d like to give some ides to you. I have tested this ideas about one year and we have built tens of coaches this way.

The main problem with these style of coach body is convex walls. Many enthusiasts do not like bend walls in convex format or they are thinking that this is too difficult. This is rarely quite difficult when using half etched walls. But first I would like to introduce my idea of wooden body of this style of coach.

If you are modelling the same type of body with wooden walls, you are able to use "the box construction". My idea was to draw dashed lines inside the wall places you have to bend to convex format . You have to be very careful when drawing dashed lines — small pieces of lines have to situated in the middle of lines that imitate joints of boards outside of the wall. If you are not careful with that you will get small holes in your wall ;)

But this works. Dashed lines helps you to bend the wall to the convex format. Many enthusiasts also like the box style body that is easy to build. You are able see this idea in my first picture.

Bild

My second idea was to make window frames and window sills in one piece. In the same time I will get the L-girder inside the upper wall. Later I am also able to use the flange of L-girder when assemble the transverse beam of the coach. Please note that bend window sills fit to chinks made in walls. That makes very easy to fit the L-girder piece on its place.

Bild
Bild

I have also pictures of my idea to assemble the roof to the coach. If you like I am able to publish some pictures of that idea later.

Bild
Bild

The second idea was the construction of sheet metal plated coach body. Because the half etched walls you are not able to use the box style construction — believe me, I have also tested it. It is too difficult to bend beautiful. I think these photos will give you the idea.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

My big idea was to make loops in the lower edge of the wall. There are also pegs in the lower edge of half etched wall. Pegs suit to loops and makes very easy to assemble the half etched wall on the body. This construction is also very strong.

Bild

Bild

The three point suspension of coach base on the old English idea — there are not any new ideas of mine. My idea was only to copy "the bogie style assembly" from the long two axle coach made by Roco for the second axle. In my coach the second axle is able to turn a little bit like the bogie. This helps the coach to go in tight curves.

Bild
Bild

I notice that I have made very long story but I hope you might get some ideas to make Swedish coaches. Please let me know if you like to get more information of my construction.

Petri Sallinen
Helsinki Finland

... and here are some ready made coaches.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Olof

Re: Finnish coaches from the end of 1800´s

Inlägg av Olof »

Hi Petri!

Thanks for sharing your findings. It is always valuable to see different solutions to common problems.
English is OK. You are not the first who has contributed in English in this forum. Please share more.

/Olof
Lundarallarna - modelljärnvägsföreningen i Lund
nollan.lundarallarna.se
www.lundarallarna.se
Användarens profilbild
henrix72se
Kontakt:

Re: Finnish coaches from the end of 1800´s

Inlägg av henrix72se »

Fantastic work, we'll done !!

We are all on different forums nowadays so don't think English is any problem, except maybe in France .. :)

Henrik
Jag bygger i 016.5 - http://Laurell.Today/
Skriv svar